Related Posts with Thumbnails

Garden Update: What's blooming now

I missed giving an update on my tulips which are now fading and were oh so lovely. (I accidently deleted the photos off my card - Yes shame on me). And I had so many pretty varieties and colors.  Also I missed the Aubrieta which I have in pink and purple in my garden and is quite lovely too. I only wished it bloomed more than once - it only shows it beauty in April into early May. Most people have it in their gardens as border plants or in rock gardens. You have to watch it though because this plant can quickly spread and it will surprise you how much it has grown come the spring.

Aubrieta courtesy of Freefoto.com

However, it is iris season right now and my big beauties are starting to bloom. I have three colors - white, purple, and pink. The white are most abundant in my garden since they are the only iris variety that I have that blooms twice. (I believe there are some non-white varieties that are twice blooming but I have only seen the white.) My landscaper turned me onto them over 8 years ago. They bloom now in April- May and then will bloom again in August and sometimes in September. I love them because they are so low maintenance and require little work and are strong hardy plants. The leaves of the iris will remain green through out the summer and not die down or fade, however, I have planted other flowers such as lilies and coreopsis around them so that part of the garden still has lovely flowers and colors outside of their bloom time. I am thinking that next year I may actually have to divide my irises so they don't completely dominate the spots they are in.  Also my pink lovelies are taking their time and have yet to bloom.





I also have this little beauty which I don't know the name of in both white and purple. If you know what this flower is please leave a comment.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards  – (May 1, 2010 at 8:00 PM)  

I love our irises, too. I was told that I should wait three years before transplanting. This year is finally the year I can break them up. They are growing like crazy. Taking up the flower bed. But, they are gorgeous. I only have purple. I wish I had some white and yellow ones.

Post a Comment

(never home)maker
OWP badge

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP