Related Posts with Thumbnails

Experiments with Apple Pie

It seems like I have not done a food posting in forever. No I am not on strike from cooking its just that I haven't been experimenting with anything new or doing anything that fabulous.

Last week I was inspired out of the blue to make apple pie to go along with our pork chop dinner. Now granted I LUUUVVVVV apple pie but I have never made it before in my life. (Isn't that terrible?) The biggest deterrent has always been that I didn't know a great pie crust recipe, that is until I learned Pioneer Woman's recipe. Only since then have I felt I had a foundation for making good pie. So I decided to take another page out of her recipe book and try her Flat Apple Pie Recipe.

Now I will tell you I had a hard time with this recipe because I did not thoroughly read the directions. It requires  2 pie crusts and I used one. DOOOOHHHH! Which resulted in too much filling, which tore the crust , which made filling spill onto the baking sheet and caused a hot smoky mess in my kitchen.  So my filing could have been a little more caramelly (is that even a word but you know what I mean) but otherwise it was totally tasty. The recipe for the filling yields a filling that is just right in terms of taste - not too sweet not too tart. I only modified it a bit by adding cinnamon. I am definitely going to use the filling in more traditional pies as well.

And next time I will use 2 pie crusts!

As you can see it is extra brown (burnt) around the bottom edges. But it was still really yummy.

Pioneer Woman's Flat Apple Pie


Ingredients

  • 5 peeled & sliced Granny Smith apples
  • 2 tbsp. flour
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 recipe Perfect Pie Crust
  • 6 tbsp. butter
  • Cinnamon to taste


Method

1. Preheat oven to 375-degrees.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the apples, flour, lemon juice, granulated sugar, brown sugar and salt. Set aside.
3. Roll out two pie crusts into large circles. Place the circles on large baking sheets.
4. Place half the apple mixture on one crust and other half on the other crust.
5. Fold over the edge of each crust so that it covers 2-3 inches of the apple mixture. No need to be artistic - the more rustic the better.
6. Dot the tops of the pies with chunks of butter.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the filling is golden and bubbly. If the crust appears to brown too quickly, cover the edges with aluminum foil for the remaining baking time.
8. All to cool slightly, then slice into wedges with a pizza cutter.

Jes  – (May 27, 2010 at 12:41 PM)  

This happened to me the last time I made apple pie. I underestimated the apples. I bought enough crust for one pie, and ended up with two open-faced pies. Oh well, pie is good no matter what right?

Unknown  – (May 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM)  

This looks great! Despite the fact that I love pies and crumbles, I never bake them ... hmm, you've inspired me to try one! I've heard the pioneer woman cookbook is great, is that what you used?

Nicole Peterson  – (May 27, 2010 at 4:11 PM)  

@Vickii her cookbook is so worth it if you like down home cooked food. But a little tip most of the recipes in the book are on her website. I still defer to Martha for most of my baking recipes and I felt like her cookbook was somewhat lacking there. But her pie crust recipe - to die for! It is so flaky and tender. But check out her website before making your decision to purchase the book.

Unknown  – (May 28, 2010 at 6:06 AM)  

Thanks will take your advice!:D

Unknown  – (June 3, 2010 at 9:28 AM)  

I just checked out the Pioneer Woman's website and was looking through her recipes and I think I might be in love ... I literally want to try out EVERYTHING!!

Shannon  – (June 3, 2010 at 10:37 AM)  

Hey Nicole - So I'm starting to look into newborn photographers and remembered you're starting your business. Do you have some pics you've done of babies you could send for me to check out? You're a doll, thanks!

oh.thats.swell@gmail.com

janineb  – (June 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM)  

looks delish! I have never made a pie from scratch. you may just inspire me too :)

I have nominated you for a Trendy Treehouse blog award. Visit my blog post for details! thanks for being you :)
http://pileofpics.blogspot.com/2010/06/trendy-blog-award.html

Nicole Peterson  – (June 3, 2010 at 3:25 PM)  

@ Vicki Pioneer Woman is the best. I love her because she is a serious foodie and not afraid to cook wit real ingredients like butter, sugar, and dare I say it LARD. LOL. She leaves me drooling. And because my family is from the South a lot of her recipes really resonant with me and remind of dishes I had growing up.

Unknown  – (June 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM)  

It's funny I absolutely love Southern cooking and it's for the exact reasons you described about Pioneer woman - they love their food and do it properly! It's all about the best ingredients and flavours!!

Nicole Peterson  – (June 3, 2010 at 4:09 PM)  

@janineb Thanks so much! My first blog award. Will past along the goodness this weekend ;)

Post a Comment

(never home)maker
OWP badge

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP