Related Posts with Thumbnails

Apple Cobbler - Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom!

Every year in August I go peach picking and then spend a whole day baking peach cobbler. I bake enough to give out to family and friends and to last us through the winter. (My gosh I sound like Laura Ingals.)

It took me a while through trial and error to perfect my peach cobbler recipe and I am darn proud of it. However, my husband and mother were pestering me to make apple cobbler. (My husband is still pestering me to learn how to make cherry cobbler. Does anyone have a great recipe?) I will admit there were a couple of things holding me back from making it. One, I only found recipes for apple crisp or brown betty and I wanted something that was distinctly like a cobbler with a cake like topping . I am picky about cobbler and do not like them made with a crumble or pie like top. Two, I am always a little intimidated of baking with apples. I don't know why but I just am. I think this is part of the reason why I shy away from making pies.

Well one day while perusing my cookbooks I came across a recipe for apple cobbler in the Frugal Gourmet Cooks American. (I have a lot of cookbooks and I will admit that was the first time I cracked it since I bought it several years ago.) The cobbler topping was very similar to the one I use for my peach cobbler, so I was sold in trying it. The recipe turned out to be very simple and fast. The hardest part was slicing up the apples. Plus it's super yummy. You can see I enjoyed it immediately with some vanilla ice cream.

Apple Cobbler


Filling

  • 2 lbs of baking apple cored an sliced ( I use a mix of golden delicious and granny smith)
  • 3 tablespoons of butter
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of sugar
  • cinnamon
  • sugar
Topping
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 lb of unsalted butter melted
  • 1/2 cup of milk
Preheat oven to 350.

1. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in pan on cooktop. Add apples and saute till tender. (I use a my chafing dish which you can cook with on top of the stove and then bake in the oven. So I eliminate the need for two pans)

2. Add 1/4 cup to a 1/2 cup of sugar to apples (depending on how sweet you like it - I add closer to a 1/2 cup to counter the tartness of the granny smiths). Add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste. Transfer apples to baking dish.

3. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Add milk and melted butter. Beat together till mixture is well incorporated. Mixture will have thick consistency.

4. Pour batter over top of the apples or you can  mix the batter into the apples in the dish like I did.

5. Bake approximately 50 minutes till batter is brown on outside and cooked fully through.


PS I know I am doing a lot of food posts this week but with the holiday I did a lot of cooking.


Erin @ DomesticAdventure.com  – (December 30, 2009 at 8:00 PM)  

Your cobbler looks absolutely delicious!

I make my cobbler topping in a similar way. Instead of melting the butter though, I cut it in, kind of like pie crust or biscuits. It comes out as a very thick gooey mixture that I can plop on the top of the fruit. I haven't made cherry, but I would love to try, too!

- e

Anonymous –   – (January 2, 2010 at 7:57 PM)  

this looks simply delish! must try, though I will probably cut down on the baking after the holidays, I have a ton of apples to use! Thanks for the recipe.
- Deb

Post a Comment

(never home)maker
OWP badge

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP