Related Posts with Thumbnails

One of the Best Things You Can Do as a Baker




One of the best things I ever did as a baker was to learn how to make my own vanilla extract. If you bake often you know how expensive vanilla extract can be. Pretty darn pricey and not even for the top of the line stuff, just for imitation vanilla extract (a small bottle may set you back $3 which lasts maybe a day in my household during the holidays).

I was extremely blessed to visit Hawaii last year and had the opportunity to tour the Hawaiian Vanilla Company which is the only commercial vanilla farm in the United States. Owners Jim and Tracy Reddekopp host tours of their vanilla farm where they teach you about the growth and care of the orchid from which we get vanilla. During the tour they taught us how to make our own vanilla extract from vanilla bean and vodka/rum.

It is a very simple process and I wish someone had told me about this years ago. All you need is good quality vanilla beans, which you can order from the Hawaiian Vanilla Company (through their website) and your choice of rum or vodka. I was told that extract made from rum will have a slightly different flavor than that made from vodika (which will have a purer flavor). I had enough beans so I tried both. (I have yet to bake with the rum because that just came out of the aging process)


Step 1 : Slice the bean lengthwise and make a slit half way into the bean
Step 2: Immerse the bean in the alcohol (I used two beans in a 750 ml bottle)




Step 3 : Place your bottle in dark place. I was told not to let it sit in sunlight. I just put it way in the back of one of my kitchen cupboards - one I did not frequently open. Let the bean steep for 2-3 months. As you check on your extract you will see the color begin to darken and become a beautiful rich brandy color. Once its done the aging process make sure you store it in a dark place.

What makes it really wonderful is that this extract can last up to 20 years!!!!!! When half of the bottle is gone simply refill with alcohol and let it steep some more. Viola you had replenished your stash. Its an endless supply.

I am going to share with you pics of the Hawaiian Vanilla Company and their beautiful farm and the wonderful meal they provided on our tour (everything on the menu was so yummy and all had some element of vanilla in one of the ingredients).





Nomnomnomnom .... Delicious. It was chicken sandwich with a vanilla mango chutney.




The beautiful view from the farm.




An actual vanilla plant







Post a Comment

(never home)maker
OWP badge

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP