Related Posts with Thumbnails

Got the Organizing Bug: Magazines






I caught the organizing bug this morning. Every so often I get an itch to organize some little item around the house and today it was the magazine collection in our office. We keep them neatly organized in magazine files and baskets from Ikea, however, I think our collection had just got to be too much. We had catalogs that I had stowed away with the intention of buying some bookmarked item that has long been forgotten. We had issues of magazines as far back as 2005 which have not been touched since their initial reading. Some of the magazines were hard to part with because of that nagging feeling that there just might be some useful tidbit of information in them that I will need at some future point in time.

To cut down on the magazine clutter here are the new magazine rules:
  • Only store 1 year's worth of issues of any one magazine 
  • All issues older than a year will be purged and recycled. 
  • Before magazines are purged articles of interest will be clipped and put into a clear plastic protectors in a binder.
I also had to seriously think about what magazines were worth having a subscription to because I am prone to being a magazine junkie. Here is what made the list and all other magazines will be read in the grocery checkout line, online, or when I am relaxing in Barnes and Noble (which probably doesn't make any magazine editors too happy - sorry!).
  • Martha Stewart Living
  • Better Homes and Gardens
  • Food Network Cooking Magazine
  • Martha Stewart Everyday Food







How do you organize and catalog your magazines at home? How long do you generally keep them? What magazines d you read religiously?

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards  – (December 16, 2009 at 5:52 PM)  

When I read them, I take out the pages I want to keep and file them. Then, I put them in a tote bag in my car. I donate them to the Friends of the Library when the tote bag is full.

I never go back to old magazines, so this way everything is streamlined and I actually have the items that I want. We subscribe to a lot of magazines, and my MIL subscribes to TONS, so I constantly have a stack to go through. =)

Nicole Peterson  – (December 16, 2009 at 6:10 PM)  

Kim - I love the idea that you donate the magazines to the library.

I decided to keep the back issues since when my mother comes to visit she enjoys reading through them. But she is also a main culprit in bringing magazines over and adding to our pile. Since we have different subscriptions she passes issues over to me when she is done reading them.

Post a Comment

(never home)maker
OWP badge

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP