Related Posts with Thumbnails

Are we a DIY couple??????



Look at how happy they are in their DIY bliss? Can me and my hubby have that same DIY glow?
photo courtesy of awarmhome.com

Since we have decided to hold off on selling our home, we have decided to do a minor renovation to our bathroom.  Since initially buying the house 6 years ago I've wanted to put in a new tile floor and replace the vanity and fixtures. I was mainly inspired to finally tackle it by seeing other couples in the blogsphere do theirs. For example, Sherry and John over on Young House Love are in the midst of a total gut and redo of their bathroom and Jenny over at Anything Pretty did a fab redo of her guest bath. But it has me wondering are we a DIY couple?

The decision to redo our bathroom ourselves was not something we came to overnight. While my husband has done DIY projects in previous homes he owned, I have done nothing major other than slap a few coats of paint on the wall. I've always hired professionals to do everything for me. In this house I've hired professionals to do the landscaping, build our backyard deck, refinish the basement, redo the half bath, lay hardwood floors, and the list goes on. So the whole DIY thing is completely new territory for me. And its scary. I try to give myself a boost of confidence and say "how hard can it be if everyone is doing it?". But the question I really ask myself is "Can I do it right and will my results look as good as a professional?" (Its the perfectionist in me coming out.)

The other worry I have is whether or not my husband and I can survive a large DIY project. See I'm bossy and anal and picky on top of that. (At least I can admit my flaws) And on projects I tend to want to  direct everything. When we first moved in together and painted the guest bedroom, it was not the smoothest of projects, namely because of my bossy disposition and my pickiness for perfection. My husband has agreed to undertake the bathroom project with the stipulation that I have to curb the bossiness and nit picking and really trust him and work as a team.

I think if we survive this, this will be an opportunity for growth not only in our relationship but also in me as a person. Yes, I will pick up some new DIY skills but  more importantly I will also learn how to trust in my partner and work better as a team.

Did anyone else have to learn how to let go and let their partner take control on projects? How have others done in doing DIY with their spouses?

Post a Comment

(never home)maker
OWP badge

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP