Related Posts with Thumbnails

I am not supposed to bake but I did it anyway

Under orders of my husband I have to cut back on baking which is extremely hard for me since I love to do it so much. My husband at one time was training to qualify for the Olympics in the 800m track and field event, and he has run the majority of his life. When he was seriously training he was a big health fanatic about nutrition and what went into his body. He has been complaining of late that I am on a secret mission to make him fat with all my baked goodies, but honestly I'm not.  And from looking at my husband I can't tell that the baked goods has had any affect on him. He still has a trim muscular runner's body. But he has made a resolution to eat healthier in the new year and to also get back on a regular run schedule.

Well on Sunday I baked ginger muffins despite his wishes. (I just couldn't help myself. But really I do need to curb the baking and be supportive of his nutritional goals. I may need to try make some of the Vegan treats over at neverhomemaker in order to satisfy both our needs).




Ginger Muffins
courtesy of my girl Martha from "The Martha Stewart Cookbook - Collected Recipes for Everyday"

Makes 48 accourding to the recipe but I got 10 jumbo muffins out of it

Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb (2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 1 cup molasses
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/12 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • grated zest of 1 large orange
  • 1/2 cup of boiling water
  • pinch of salt
  • 4 tablespoons of sour cream
Preheat oven to 350
  • Heat the butter and molasses in small saucepan until butter melts.  Cool.
  • Beat the egg and sugar until fluffy.
  • Sift dry ingredients together.
  • Add dry ingredients to egg mixture alternately with the butter and molasses, stirring well
  • Add the zest, boiling water, salt, and sour cream. Blend well
  • Pour into muffin tins. Baked until puffed (about 15 minutes)
Suggested serving is with ginger cream cheese (which I think would be awesome) or spicy apple butter.


(JIN) Love, Loss & Lacquer  – (February 23, 2010 at 7:57 AM)  

Hi there! I'm so happy I found your blog - we seem to have a lot in common such as our obsession with the d3000 and baking, lol. I too was ordered to cut back on baking but it's so much fun. I taught myself this year and I've been having the best time, but the extra 1.5 lbs on the scale is not so great lol - oh well!

Nicole Peterson  – (February 23, 2010 at 2:57 PM)  

Jin - thanks for stopping through. I love meeting new internet friends ;)

Yeah he is just giving lip service because he scarfed down the blueberry muffins I made recently. LOL.

Post a Comment

(never home)maker
OWP badge

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP