Related Posts with Thumbnails

What's on my Shelf in the kitchen?


So Ashley & Stephan over at (never home)maker posed the question what is on your shelf, ie your cookbooks, and since I have been meaning to post about this same topic what better time than the present.

I thought I had a lot of cookbooks but Ashley and Stephan beat me hands down. Even though I have a lot I only consult on a regular basis probably 4-5 of them. I am going to highlight my favorites and the ones that I have found most useful.

Joy of Cooking - 75th Anniversay Edition by Rombauer, Rombauer & Becker
I don't know why I waited so long to get this book. By far it is one of the most comprehensive and useful cookbooks there is - hands down. I see why so many coks have it in their kitchen. I turn to this book to read up on ingredients, understand the basics of various techniques, and as a starting point for any new recipe. I don't know how I got along in the kitchen before I got it.

How to Cook Everything - Bittman While there is a new updated edition I have the original. This book is my second most used cookbook because like the Joy of Cooking it does a great job at explaining how ingredients come together to form a recipe, gives the basics of techniques, and gives suggestions on how to do variations of recipes. Another great volume for the beginner cook or as a reference for the more experienced.

Better Homes and Garden Cookbook - This was my first cookbook (I have an edition from the md-90's) and it has great classic recipes. I use it a cross refence with Joy and Cook Everything to develop recipes.

The Martha Stewart Cookbook: Collected Recipes for Every Day - Though some recipes are outside of every day (you know Martha is not quite like the rest of us) there are some excellent recipes in the book. Though not comprehensive enough to be used as a everyday reference, I am sometimes pleasantly surprised as what is contained within.

The Black Family Reunion Cookbook- Recipes and Food Memories by  National Council of Negro Women Though not an everyday cookbook, I can't cook with Crisco and butter every day, however, it helps me to recreate some of the recipes from my childhood. It is the food that I eat when I go to visit relatives down south or I am cooking for big holidays.   If you want some basic soul food recipes this is the one.

Books I use more infrequently but still love:
The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl  by  Ree Drummond
Martha Stewart's Cookies: The Very Best Treats to Bake and to Share by Martha Stewart Living Magazine
Cookwise The Secrets of Cooking Revealed by Shirley Corriher 

The other large source for my recipes are the Martha Stewart website and Food Network Magazine.

Books I want:
Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The Original Classics
The Fannie Farmer Cookbook
The Deen Brothers Cookbook: Recipes from the Road

Post a Comment

(never home)maker
OWP badge

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP