Related Posts with Thumbnails

Impromptu Mexican Food



Right before the holidays I had a craving for Mexican food. I hadn't eaten all day except for a bowl of oatmeal and by quitting time I was starving. Usually I consult my cookbooks to thoroughly research a recipe, however, my hunger pangs was not cooperating with my usual MO. I had to get to the supermarket pronto and just wing it.

I was able to cobble together some really tasty burritos using the following ingredients.

  • Beef (cut for stir fry)
  • Goya Sofrito
  • Cilantro
  • Red Onions
  • Can of Black Beans
  • Tomatoes
  • Cheese (packaged shredded Mexican blend)
  • Brown Rice
  • Flour Burrito tortillas
  • Sour Cream 
  • Salsa
I have never cooked with Sofritio before but it looked like it would make an awesome marinade. It is a tomato cooking base flavored with  peppers, onions, and garlic. I marinated the meat in the sofrito for about 20 minutes then added the meat to a pan with sautéed onions.  While the meat and onions cooked I diced some fresh tomatos and added some cilantro for a simple salsa.



I then created by burrito with my sautéed meat, brown rice, cooked black beans, my simple salsa, and cheese.  I will be the first to admit that I am not the best at rolling burritos but they held together. After rolling I placed them on the grill for about 10 minutes flipping halfway thorough. Then I served with a topping of salsa and sour cream.




They were so simple and tasty.

I am definitely making these again and this time really taking my time to make a great salsa.

Post a Comment

(never home)maker
OWP badge

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP