Related Posts with Thumbnails

Getting a good word when you least expect it


photo from incurlers Flickr photostream

Last night while I was at the hair salon for my weekly "wig toss", I was perusing the January issue of "O" while under the dryer. Now I am in no way a disciple of Ms. Oprah, and while I hold her in the highest regard and respect all the things she has done with her life I am not a big fan. (Don't get me started on what issues I have with Ms. Winfrey -Sorry Gals). But I do love her magazine. I think she has one of the few magazines out there that has well written articles of depth that address the personal development of inner selves.  Plus it has the usual eye candy and visual fluff we love to devour in our magazines (hot new items, home decor, etc) done in a very stylish way.

Well the article was about livng your best year in 2010, a theme consistent with the Oprah mantra and brand, and this little gem just struck a deep chord with me. So much in fact that I thought about it all night and it has been on my mind today as well.

"Instead of planning to be perfect, plan to be a little better"

See I am a perfectionist. I hate not being the best at anything I do. If I can't do something well it causes me great frustration and distress. I am my own worse critic and am harder on myself than any one else. Upon completing a project I don't stand back and say "wow that's beautiful" instead I say "Wow look at that spot you missed" or  "Wow you should have moved it a 1/2 inch more to the left". I am never satisfied with what I have accomplished becase I set for myself an impossible standard  - PERFECTION. 

So for 2010 I am going to try to be a little better and not perfect. 

Do others suffer from "perfectionist syndrome"? How do you prevent it from allowing you to appreciate your talents and accomplishments?

Post a Comment

(never home)maker
OWP badge

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP