Related Posts with Thumbnails

Where do pointe shoes go to die?

I was inspired by Mrs. Hot Cocoa of Doubly Happy and Creature Gorgeous to take photos of all my lovely worn pointe shoes. I have a pointe shoe graveyard in my closet.

I take classes at least 2 times a week on Monday and Wednesday at Miss Wanda Hamilton's School of Classical Ballet. Though I took some classes in my early childhood, it was not till graduate school that I got serious and really started to study dance. I have been diligent in going to class at least 2-3 times a week for the past 11 years.  I will admit that it can be extremely hard at times, especially here of late since I am starting to develop early signs of arthritis in my knees and ankles, but I have found not other form of exercise to be more rewarding or satisfying. Miss Wanda who owns the studio is definitely old school in how she teaches and is a ballet purist. For the hour and a half that we are in the class she definitely works you and you will sweat. About 5 years ago I began to study on pointe, I was so overjoyed and filled with glee that Miss Wanda finally thought I was ready. Little did I know the pain involved with doing pointe.  (When I think back to my first pointe class I laugh. I thought I was going to be let in on some big secret of how you dance on pointe and I was told quite bluntly "There is no secret just get up on your toes. Do it." ) I could never find shoes that I felt completely comfortable in. And after suffering from sore ankles, loosing my two big toe nails, and not being able to wear open toed shoes for a year I turned in my pointe shoes after about a year and a half of study.

But as you can see I have quite a collection and I call it my "Point Shoe Graveyard"




Creature Gorgeous  – (February 8, 2010 at 9:42 PM)  

Ohhhh, these are gorgeous images. I love shopworn dance shoes; there's just something so poetic about them...And you did them justice with your photography. Also, I am SO impressed with your determination to learn pointe. You just reminded me about toenails falling off! But it's well worth it. GOOD.FOR.YOU!

Nicole Peterson  – (February 9, 2010 at 7:29 AM)  

Thank you! Yes pointe was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. I didn't realize your feet could actually sweat so much. But when I was able to do a pirouette or arabesque oh it was a moment of nirvana ;)

Post a Comment

(never home)maker
OWP badge

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP